travel, vlogging, & van life
See all of our travel planning, budgeting, and packing resources, as well as the gear we use and love, and tips and insight into van life. We hope these resources can help you plan your own adventures!
Note: this resources page contains affiliate links, which means that if you use the links provided and make a purchase, we get a small commission at no extra cost to you. We will only ever recommend products we truly love, actually use during our adventures, and think you can benefit from too!
See our step by step process to plan a trip, what we do with our pup Kona when she cannot go with us, and download our itinerary template to organize your own adventure.
travel booking tools
our favorite gear
- Chaco Women’s ZX2 Classic Athletic Sandal They may be sort of ugly, but they are super comfy and versatile!
- Chaco Men’s Z2 Classic Sport Sandal Adam LOVES his Chaco’s too!
- Lowa Women’s Renegade GTX Kathryn rocks these boots on the trails and she LOVES them!
- ALTRA Superior 5 Trail Running Shoe Adam used the 4.5s for several years until they wore out and has since switched to the 5s. These shoes are super comfortable, dry really fast, and have been very durable!
- Patagonia Down Jacket Kathryn wears this jacket for all of our cold weather adventures.
- Men’s Voodoo Falls 590 TurboDown Jacket Adam has had this jacket for years and it is still keeping him warm!
- Away’s “The Carry On” This suitcase is the BEST, meets international carry-on regulations, and fits sooo much stuff!
- REI Co-op Trail 40 Pack Adam just got this backpack and we love the way it looks and feels, and especially love the thought they put into the water bladder integration!
- PRVKE Travel and DSLR Camera Backpack This is our go-to travel backpack! It fits multiple laptops, multiple cameras, chargers, personal items, and more! It has a hidden passport pocket and opens from the back, making it safer from pickpockets.
- Anker Portable Charger We LOVE this thing! It can charge our phone multiple times, has two USB slots, and even has a little flashlight!
- Sony Headphones Kathryn uses these headphones when editing our videos.
- Travel Adapter We’ve used this travel adapter on our international travels and it works great!
- CamelBak Crux 100 oz Hydration Pack Reservoir We have two of these and they are the best! We admittedly don’t drink enough water, so these last us for a while and are much easier to carry (and drink from) than bottles.
- Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System These spikes are AMAZING and the best investment we have made for hiking. They have made hiking in icy and snowy conditions so easy! We can basically run on ice without falling.
- GearLightLED Head Lamp We’ve been using these head lamps for awhile now and they are bright and comfortable.
- Osprey Men’s Atmos 65 AG Backpack This men’s backpack has lots of storage and compartments, as well as is comfortable to wear.
- Osprey Women’s Aura 65 AG Backpack I (Kathryn) love this backpack! It has lots of storage and is comfortable.
- REI Half Dome 2+ Tent We love this tent! It can fit the two of us, plus our pup Kona, and our backpacking packs. It also has storage on the “ceiling” for any items you need to grab quickly.
- TETON Sports LEEF Lightweight Mummy Sleeping Bag These sleeping bags keep us sooo warm at night! And the best part? They are much more affordable than some other options out there.
- Outdoorsman Lab Camping Sleeping Pad This sleeping pad has changed our lives! We are now able to sleep much more comfortably on the ground.
- ONWEGO Camping Inflatable Pillow This pillow packs up tiny and has made sleeping in the tent so much more comfortable.
- Sportneer Camping Chairs These chairs are definitely a backpacking luxury, but if you plan to spend a lot of time hanging out at the campsite, we think they are definitely worth the extra weight!
- Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stove This stove makes it easy to boil water and cook food while backpacking. Don’t forget to get propane for it!
- Wild Zora Meals We have taken their backpacking meals and meat bars on many of our backpacking trips and they are healthy and delicious!
- Backpacker Pantry Pad Thai This meal is SO dang good that we’d even eat it while not backpacking!
- Kuju Coffee This pourover coffee is great for backpacking or hiking! We love the Angels Landing light roast.
- Sawyer Water Filtration Kit We use this water filter kit and it has worked great!
- Garmin InReach Mini This satellite device allows you to send messages to your loved ones when out hiking, gives you the ability to send your location, and has a SOS in case of emergencies.
- Bear Spray and holster This is a must have item when hiking or camping in areas where bears are present. Thankfully we have yet to need it!
- Backpacker’s Cache – Bear Proof Container This bear proof can is a tank and is quite heavy, but that gives us peace of mind that no bear will get into it.
- Sony a7 III Full Frame Mirrorless Camera This is the camera we use for all of our photography and 99% of our b-roll shots.
- Sony Alpha a6500 This is our main talking camera that we have used since day one of vlogging, but we plan to upgrade in 2022.
- Sony 24-70mm f/4 lens This is the lens we use for our Sony a7 III for photos and most b-roll.
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 lens This is our newest lens, which will be used for talking shots and some b-roll.
- Sony 18-105mm lens We use this lens to film zoomed in shots.
- Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Wide-angle zoom lens This is the lens we use 85% of the time for talking shots and wider landscape/city shots! We will be retiring this lens once we replace our A6500.
- SIRUI AM-225 Carbon Fiber Tripod We upgraded to this tripod recently and it’s sturdier and lighter than the other tripods we’ve had before.
- Peak Design Capture Camera Clip We use this clip to mount our camera to our backpack when we aren’t using it. It gives us easy access to the camera and keeps our hands free when we aren’t filming/taking photos.
- GoPro HERO8 This GoPro is great for when it’s a bit unsafe to use our regular camera (on the water, on rides, etc), but still want to capture the moment!
- GoPro Floating Hand Grip This hand grip lets us safely hold onto our GoPro (with the wrist strap) and floats on water!
- Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone This lightweight microphone helps us get better audio, especially in wind (sometimes), plus it doubles as a dog magnet!
- Joby GorillaPod 5K We recently upgraded to this GorillaPod, which can hold our full frame cameras and lenses, for talking shots and for some tripod purposes.
- DJI Mavic Air, Fly More Combo We LOVE flying this drone and filming different perspectives of the place we are visiting!
- ZHIYUN Crane Gimbal Stabilizer This gimbal is a LIFESAVER and helps make our shots much smoother than if we handheld the camera.
Watch our travel vlogging gear vlog where we go through all of these items!
blogging and vlogging resources
Keysearch is our favorite tool to research SEO keywords so our blog posts can rank high on Google. Use the code KSDISC for a 20% discount.
This course taught us so much about SEO and has helped us rank higher on Google. Stupid Simple SEO is definitely worth the investment!
Divi is the WordPress theme we use to build and design our site. It is very easy to learn and use. We also love it because there is a one time lifetime price tag unlike other builders.
our van build
our van conversion cost, tour, & mistakes
Watch our van tour, learn what mistakes we made, and see the total cost and products we used change image to our conversion header
VAN LIFE FAQS: OUR VAN, LOGISTICS, DAILY ROUTINE, & MORE!
Interested in van life? In this blog we’re sharing the questions we get asked the most about van life, from why we chose our van, our build, logistics, our daily routine, and more!
van build series
View our van build YouTube series, including how we installed windows, what insulation we chose, and other build tasks!
Looking for resources to help you with your van build? Here are two guides we highly recommend!
Van Build Guide: We used Sara and Alex James’s guides and layout for our van. In their guide they list dimensions, products, and more to help you out!
Van Conversion Academy: This course from Two Wandering Soles is LOADED with helpful step-by-step instructions, such as how to install a fan, windows, water system, subfloor, and more! They’ve made it so you can spend more time building and less time searching the YouTube and internet black hole for information!