see our top travel
We’re sharing all of the resources that have helped us save money to travel, research and plan out our adventures, and pack for a trip, as well as any gear that we love and the things we have learned both building our van and since hitting the road. We hope that these resources can help you plan your own adventures!
Note: this resources page contains affiliate links, which means that if you use the links provided and make a purchase, we get a small commission at no extra cost to you. We will only ever recommend products we truly love, actually use during our adventures, and think you can benefit from too!
Check out our Travel Planning Checklist and use the same tool we use to plan our trip itineraries!
travel booking tools
our favorite gear
- Away’s “The Carry On” This suitcase is the BEST, meets international carry-on regulations, and fits sooo much stuff!
- PRVKE Travel and DSLR Camera Backpack This is our go-to travel backpack! It fits multiple laptops, multiple cameras, chargers, personal items, and more! It has a hidden passport pocket and opens from the back, making it safer from pickpockets.
- Chaco Women’s ZX2 Classic Athletic Sandal They may be sort of ugly, but they are super comfy and versatile!
- Chaco Men’s Z2 Classic Sport Sandal Adam LOVES his Chaco’s too!
- YETI Tundra 45 Cooler This cooler is LEGIT! It keeps our food cold for an entire weekend and can double as a bench if needed.
- REI Half Dome Plus 2 We love this tent! It can fit the two of us, plus our pup Kona, and our backpacking packs. It also has storage on the “ceiling” for any items you need to grab quickly.
- Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System These spikes are AMAZING and the best investment we have made for hiking. They have made hiking in icy and snowy conditions so easy! We can basically run on ice without falling.
- TETON Sports LEEF Lightweight Mummy Sleeping Bag These sleeping bags keep us sooo warm at night! And the best part? They are much more affordable than some other options out there.
- ONWEGO Camping Inflatable Pillow This pillow packs up tiny and has made sleeping in the tent so much more comfortable.
- Outdoorsman Lab Camping Sleeping Pad This sleeping pad has changed our lives! We are now able to sleep much more comfortably on the ground.
- Sportneer Camping Chairs These chairs are definitely a backpacking luxury, but if you plan to spend a lot of time hanging out at the campsite, we think they are definitely worth the extra weight!
- Osprey Men’s Atmos 65 AG Backpack This men’s backpack has lots of storage and compartments, as well as is comfortable to wear.
- Osprey Women’s Aura 65 AG Backpack I (Kathryn) love this backpack! It has lots of storage and is comfortable.
- Portable Charger RAVPower External Battery Pack We LOVE this thing! It can charge our phone multiple times, has two USB slots, and even has a little flashlight!
- Coleman Gas Camping Stove This stove has dramatically increased the quality of the food we make while camping. It’s super easy to use and packs down very flat.
- Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stove This stove makes it easy to boil water and cook food while backpacking. Don’t forget to get propane for it!
- CamelBak Crux 100 oz Hydration Pack Reservoir We have two of these and they are the best! We admittedly don’t drink enough water, so these last us for a while and are much easier to carry (and drink from) than bottles.
- Sony Alpha a6500 We film all of our vlogs with this camera, as well as use it for some photography!
- Sony 18-105mm lens We use this lens to film awesome zoomed in shots.
- Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Wide-angle zoom lense This is the lens we use 85% of the time for talking shots and wider landscape/city shots!
- GoPro HERO8 This GoPro is great for when it’s a bit unsafe to use our regular camera (on the water, on rides, etc), but still want to capture the moment!
- GoPro Floating Hand Grip This hand grip lets us safely hold onto our GoPro (with the wrist strap) and floats on water!
- Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone Lightweight, durable and great in the wind, plus it doubles as a dog lure!
- ZHIYUN Crane V2, 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer This gimbal is a LIFESAVER and helps make our shots much smoother than if we handheld the camera.
- Joby JB01507 GorillaPod Compact Tripod We use this Gorillapod for any time-lapses and occasionally for talking parts if we don’t want to use the gimbal.
- RAVPower Camera Batteries Charger We can easily go through 4 batteries a day, so having an extra set of batteries + charger is key!
- DJI Mavic Air, Fly More Combo We LOVE flying this drone and filming different perspectives of the place we are visiting!
Watch our travel vlogging gear vlog where we go through all of these items!
- Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body This is the camera we use for 95% of our photos! It’s a bit bulky, but takes amazing pictures.
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 35mm We use this lens for 99% of our photos! It’s a great wider lens for nature + people shots.
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm We also have this lens, but don’t use it too often. It takes really great quality photos though!
- MACTREM Professional Camera TripodAmazonBasics Lightweight Camera Mount Tripod We upgraded to this tripod recently and it’s much better and sturdier than the Amazon Basics tripod.
- Peak Design Capture Camera Clip We use this clip to mount our camera to our backpack when we aren’t using it. It gives us easy access to the camera and keeps our hands free when we aren’t filming/taking photos.
blogging and vlogging resources
Keysearch is our favorite tool to research SEO keywords so our blog posts can rank high on Google. Use the code KSDISC for a 20% discount.
This course taught us so much about SEO and has helped us rank higher on Google. Stupid Simple SEO is definitely worth the investment!
our van build
our van conversion cost, tour, & mistakes
Watch our van tour, learn what mistakes we made, and see the total cost and products we used change image to our conversion header
6 months of vanlife: all the highs & lows
Curious how life on the road has been so far? We’re sharing all of the pros and cons of van life!
van build series
View our van build YouTube series, including how we installed windows, what insulation we chose, and other build tasks!
ready to plan your next adventure?
Never miss an adventure
Sign up to get travel updates, guides, vlogs, and other resources delivered straight to your inbox once a month!